Most Commented Stories

Most Viewed Stories

What is this?

Save & Share this Article

Fire started over lighter forces three from Yuba City home

A butane lighter-refilling mishap displaced three residents and damaged the interior of a Yuba City house on Thursday evening.

No one was injured in the fire, which began just after 5 p.m. at Central and Woodbridge avenues.

The blaze caused "moderate to extensive damage," throughout the house, according to Yuba City Fire Department Battalion Chief John Limas.

Wilma Buck, 81, watched from the sidewalk across he street as firefighters finished up inside the home's blackened interior.

"Stuff like this doesn't bother me," said Buck, who was unsure where she, her son, daughter-in-law and their two dogs would be spending the night.

According to her daughter-in-law, Kelley Buck, 49, their friend had been filling a butane lighter in a bedroom, and hadn't realized the butane had been leaking.

When she tested the lighter, "It went, 'boom,' and she dropped it," Kelley Buck said.

CONTACT Nancy Pasternack at npasternack@appealdemocrat.com or 749-4781. Find her on Facebook at /ADnpasternack or on Twitter at @ADnpasternack.


See archived 'Local News' Stories »
 




What to do...
what

where

List goes here...
       
Site    Web Search powered by Google